Saturday, January 1, 2011

Introducing Two Coin Jewelry

2011 has begun and with it we introduce another of our members. In this blog post we introduce Two Coin Jewelry, run by the talented Anthony. Let's see how he answered our regular questions.


1) How long have you been a Chainmailler? I have been a chainmailler for about 6 months now.

2) Why do you like Chainmaille? I was always interested in chainmaille since my D&D days, and became more so when I started attending Renaissance Faires and seeing the different chainmaille works.

3) What is your favourite type of ring? I’ve really gotten to like Beadalon’s Artistic Wire as it seems to hold up best to me (I am still working on softening my grip) but I am getting to like anodized aluminum now as well. I use mostly 18g and 20g wire for my work.

4) What kind of items do you prefer to make? I prefer to make jewelry as that is my trade. I am very slowly working on wrapping and cutting stainless steel rings for either a maille shirt or helm (a coif I believe is what it’s called). I am going to need much more wire for this, but I have time.

5) Which weave would you like to learn that you don’t currently know? I currently want to learn the different Persian weaves as well as the different Japanese weaves.

6) Which piece are you most proud of? I think right now it is my tri-colored byzantine bracelets that I make.

7) What advice would you give to someone who was considering doing Chainmaille? Start out easy and take breaks. When I first started, I practiced different weaves for about two hours or so straight without stopping each day for a week. When the weekend came, my wrist hurt to the point where I couldn’t pick up my son (which isn’t good for a stay-at-home dad). I found out I had tendonitis in my wrist from all the repetitive motion of opening and closing rings. It took four weeks for the pain to go away and I couldn’t weave at all during that time period. Now I take breaks and stretch often and I have had no more issues.

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions, and welcome to the ArtFire Chainmaille Guild. Drop by Two Coin Jewelry on Artfire to see more of Anthony's creations.

No comments: