We continue our weekly feature of ArtFire Chainmaille Guild members by meeting You've Got Maille. Here she is to answer our questions.
1) How long have you been a Chainmailler? A year and a half.
2) Why do you like Chainmaille? Well, I'm a Renaissance geek, so there's the obvious appeal there. Beyond that, I just love the way it looks, and most especially, the way it feels. A nice weave has a sinuous, slinky feel and most of them are just irresistible to play with (great for fidgety people!)
3) What is your favourite type of ring? Do you mean materials, or sizes...? I adore anodized niobium, especially in combination with silver, and in general I prefer gauges around 20.
4) What kind of items do you prefer to make? Impossible to answer! I get on kicks where I'll make lots of bracelets, then lots of keychains, or I'll make lots of things in the same weave for a while. I'm currently working on my first maille shirt.
5) Which weave would you like to learn that you dont currently know? Viperscale continues to elude me. GRR!
6) Which piece are you most proud of? Romanza. Probably that one. It's my biggest undertaking to date.
7) What advice would you give to someone who was considering doing Chainmaille? Find a pair of pliers that feels comfortable, own several pair so you can switch out after an hour, and don't hold on so tight. Beyond that... don't be afraid to experiment.
Thank you so much! Drop by You've Got Maille on ArtFire and see her other beautiful creations!