Friday, August 5, 2011

Introducing Tangled Metal

We are here again to introduce another of our newer members. This week we are meeting Eric from Tangled Metal. We asked Eric our regular questions, so let's get to know him.


How long have you been a Chainmailler? I started making chainmail in 1986 after reading the complete Lord of the Rings series. I wanted to have a suit of armor like the warriors in the books. So, I guess I have been making chainmail for a little over 25 years.

Why do you like Chainmaille? I like the how you can take metal and weave it so that it becomes almost like cloth. I have done some very tiny chainmail (2mm outer diameter in a 30 gauge wire) and it had the feel of very fine silk.

What is your favourite type of ring? I enjoy working with stainless steel rings. I like the strength of the metal and the shine you can get from it. Of course I also like titanium rings for the strength and light weight.





What kind of items do you prefer to make? I prefer to make jewelry, but I am never opposed to make armor, clothing, home decor and accessories. I just enjoy working with chainmail not matter what I am making. It is really fun to watch a piece take shape.



Which weave would you like to learn that you don't currently know? After 25 years of weaving chainmail, I am not aware of any weave that I do not know. I do however have a lot of fun finding new ways to make 3D items in chainmail.

Which piece are you most proud of? I have chainmail on every continent except Antarctica, I have had pieces in movies, television shows, on Broadway and on thousands of people over the years and yet I am most proud of the small scrap of the very first piece of chainmail I ever made. It is a learning scrap from a shirt made from metal coat hangers.





What advice would you give to someone who was considering doing Chainmaille? Be prepared to learn a lot about patience. Spend the extra money on professional grade tools. Take the time to do it right the first time. And lastly, if you end up making chainmail as a job, never underpay yourself. You may only be a minimum wage crafter at the start but as you get better you should pay yourself a fair wage.


Thank you Eric, and welcome to the ArtFire Chainmaille Guild. You can see lots more of Eric's creations at Tangled Metal on ArtFire.

No comments: