Monday, September 7, 2009

Presenting NotNillaDesigns!

Our featured member from the ArtFire Chainmaille Guild is also our newest member, NotNillaDesigns. I will hand over to her so we can all get to know her a little better.

1) How long have you been a Chainmailler? Several years, but I just began to sell it and take it very seriously as opposed to a hobby.

2) Why do you like Chainmaille? I love the fact that I can create something out of a bunch of rings and people say it's beautiful. I was said to be 'uncrafty' by my family who knitted and sewed. I just couldn't wrap myself around those things but I found heaven in jump rings. I find it entirely calming and centering to weave.

3) What is your favourite type of ring? I know it makes me sound like a little kid at this, but I really love to work with Bright Aluminum - it's forgiving, it's light, it's shiny and most of all, it allows me to keep my pricepoint at a place where it's affordable. That's really important to me.

4) What kind of items do you prefer to make? I like to make pieces that mean something - that was why I started making the Pride jewelry. I'm part of Leather Culture and I realized that we didn't have a lot of pride wearables and I began to make them for friends and they caught on and I opened this shop exclusively to carry my pride and more 'adult' pieces.

5) Which weave would you like to learn that you dont currently know? Jen's Pind. I just haven't really needed it, but I feel like I should know it, as it's one of the more difficult and sets the 'real maillers' apart from the hobbiests.

6) Which piece are you most proud of? Oh, this is totally easy - the Chainmaille Bra Top. I spent a long time trying to find a pattern for one that would not flatten the breasts out. I wanted it to actually fit like a real bra and I am happy to say that the pattern I used was public domain and worked wonderfully. It takes a long time to weave, but it is really a gorgeous piece when finished.

7) What advice would you give to someone who was considering doing Chainmaille? Try it! The worst thing that can happen is you waste 40 bucks on a starter kit and a couple of pliers from the craft store. But, you may be starting an addiction that you never dreamed of having.
For me, it was a whim - an extension of my beaded jewelry. I had seen some chainmaille handflowers and wanted to see if I could make them myself. For me, the click of the rings closing was the most soothing sound I'd ever heard. I still love to listen to my pliers click those rings closed.

Thank you so much for answering our questions, and becoming a member of the guild. You can see more of her fabulous creations at NotNillaDesigns on ArtFire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haffina and the guild,

Thank you so much for featuring me, I'm honored.

I have a blog too, and you can follow me at

http://notnilladesigns.blogspot.com

Happy weaving and shopping!
kassie