Monday, August 31, 2009

Presenting HarmonyInMetal!

The ArtFire Chainmaille Guild is proud to present another of its members. This week it is HarmonyInMetal! Let's go and learn more about this talented artisan.

1) How long have you been a Chainmailler?
I started with maille about 4 years ago.

2) Why do you like Chainmaille?
The options are almost limitless. In my work I like to start with the
bare minimums, usually wire and sheet metal. Chainmaille allows me to
take a plain spool of wire and turn it into something beautiful. I love
to see people’s reaction of surprise when they feel how flexible and fluid
the metal is.

3) What is your favourite type of ring?
Copper. I like to play with color using the metal itself and copper is a
perfect canvas.

4) What kind of items do you prefer to make?
It depends. For weaving I prefer bracelets but I don’t actually wear a
lot of bracelets so I find myself making more necklaces.

5) Which weave would you like to learn that you don’t currently know?
Elfweave, it completely eludes me. It turns into a jumbled mess of rings
every time.

6) Which piece are you most proud of?
Vintage Viperscale. This piece really changed the ballgame for me.

7) What advice would you give to someone who was considering doing Chainmaille?
Buy the best pliers you can afford. You’re going to spend a lot of time
with them in your hands and you want them to be comfortable. Also
whenever possible buy handsawn rings or saw them yourself. The saw
provides a clean cut that allows for smooth, tight joins with no gaps.

Thank you HarmonyInMetal! You can see more of her fabulous work in her studio on ArtFire - HarmonyInMetal.

No comments: